Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Weekend ... warmer, drier than first thought

Every weekend forecast is important, but this weekend's is a lot bigger than normal for people in the Charlotte region.

And the forecast has become drier and warmer in the last 24 hours or so.

The computer models were having a tough time earlier this week trying to make heads or tails of weekend conditions, especially with a frontal system in the region and the chance of low pressure developing somewhere near the Carolinas.

Now things are coming into better focus. It looks as if the weak cold front will approach the Charlotte region Friday, then dissipate Saturday. That means Friday could be a wet day, with temperatures about 10 degrees cooler than the past few days.

Then with the front disappearing Saturday, sunshine will return. High temperatures will be in the upper 80s Saturday and Sunday, climbing into the lower 90s again Monday.

If that forecast holds, it's basically good news for the NASCAR events at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Showers and storms would arrive after Thursday night's pole qualifying and would end before the Saturday afternoon Nationwide Series race. Weather would be great for Sunday night's Sprint Series Coca-Cola 600.

And it's good news for anyone planning Memorial Day cookouts or trips to the mountains or beaches.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a tough time of year for me. I don't do well in extreme heat (and for me personally, anything above 90 is extreme). My wife calls me a polar bear trapped in a man's body.

Steve, I have a suggestion for the summer weather posts: Post some temps taken in different areas of the city. The temp taken in the underground lab at the airport is in no way related to the real weather conditions. In my neighborhood in SE Charlotte near the Matthews line, it was over 100 at least half a dozen times last summer, but I kept reading that the "official" temp taken at the airport was in the low 90s.

HokieTT said...

J (10:17 commenter),

I'd submit that maybe you have 'Reverse Seasonal Affective Disorder'. I have the traditional Seasonal Affective Disorder, which renders me pretty much depressed in the winter. I sweat a lot in the summer, but I'd still rather it be 98 degrees with 90% humidity than 45 degrees and cloudy. Regardless, I know how it is when the weather can have such a grip on your life. Best of luck.

Ghoul said...

I agree with J. The temperatures posted from the airport have to be skewed. Last night at 10PM, the Observer's website said the temp was 81 degrees. The thermometer in my backyard in Indian Trail registered 67 degrees. I don't see how it could be 14 degrees warmer 18 miles away.

Surely all that pavement and runways out there absorb the heat all day and radiate it out at night.

Anonymous said...

You can please some people some of the time, but never all the people, all the time.

ncdave77 said...

Steve, correct me if I'm wrong. My understanding is that the instruments are mounted high on a pole at the airport (usually the case, anyhow). They officially update once an hour; during late morning/evening/bad weather it can be drastically different than live conditions. One good resource is wunderground.com (Weather Underground), which lists live feeds from personal weather monitors around you.